Orange County LGBTQ+ Youth and Mentorship Program to Provide Physical & Mental Health Services
Radiant Health Centers is in the process of creating a LGBTQ+ youth and mentorship program that will deliver a comprehensive range of services to young people in Orange County. The first step for this new program is the expansion of our mental health counseling services directed to the specific needs of Orange County’s young LGBTQ+ population. As LGBTQ+ youth transition from childhood to adulthood, they face many challenges that can have a negative impact on mental and physical health.
We offer group counseling geared toward our youth through in-person and virtual groups. Access our counseling schedule for days/times.
What Is the Plan for Our LGBTQ+ Youth and Mentorship Program?
Through a range of free care programs, including a drop-in center, mentor relationships, counseling sessions and treatment, our youth program will help younger people develop into healthy, confident and motivated adults.
The youth program at Radiant Health Centers will be designed as a holistic support service for LGBTQ+ youth. The program will integrate sexual health education, HIV and STI testing, mentorship, primary health care, a safe zone for socializing with peers and more.
As Orange County’s LGBTQ+ youth currently face a lack of complementary physical, social and mental health services, the program aims to provide much-needed assistance during the pivotal years before adulthood.
Why Is the Youth Program Necessary?
LGBTQ+ youth frequently encounter discrimination, food insecurity and mental health barriers in their daily lives. Many of these challenges were highlighted in The Trevor Project 2021 National Survey on LGBTQ Mental Health.
For example, 42% of LGBTQ+ youth considered suicide in the past year, while 48% wanted mental health counseling but were unable to access it. Experiences of discrimination due to sexual orientation or gender identity were reported by 75% of LGBTQ+ youth, and 30% experienced food insecurity in the past month. These statistics (and many others from the survey) show the need for an integrated youth program that fulfills the needs of the community.
Some of Our LGBTQ+ Youth Services
Mental Health Group Counseling and Peer Support
We currently provide in-person and virtual counseling sessions covering mental health, trans issues, parent sessions, individual and group therapy, goal-driven education and more.
Youth Drop-In Center
Our Orange County drop-in center will be a friendly environment for LGBTQ+ youth to pick up sexual health and harm reduction supplies, free from discrimination and judgment.
Our goal for the near future is to train mentors who will give long-term guidance to LGBTQ+ youth, providing emotional, informational and interpersonal support. Lifelong bonds can be forged that deliver ongoing benefits for mentees.
Gender Affirming Closet
Our drop-in center will have an on-site closet where participants can access free and good-quality clothing and accessories. This resource will be stocked with items as determined based on our participants needs.
As our youth client base grows, we will create youth groups that will meet to discuss the needs of youth program participants, including workshop content, support & social group topics, along with items for the gender affirming closet.
LGBTQ+ Sensitive Sexual Health Education Groups
All youth will have access to educators and medical providers will deliver sex-positive advice on healthy sexual behavior, disease prevention, consent and other topics impacting transitional aged youth.
Integrated Medical Clinic
Youth program participants will also have access to the Radiant Health Centers medical clinic. Services available at the clinic include HIV and STI testing and regular health checkups
Youth Program Calendar
Are you interested in joining us for a Youth Event? You will find the important details below. You can also check back regularly for the latest announcements and current calendar.
Common Questions About the LGBTQ+ Youth Program
Why are drop-in centers important for LGBTQ+ youth?
With an increased risk of homelessness, bullying, mental health issues and suicide, a drop-in center provides a safe, positive and welcoming environment for LGBTQ+ youth.
What are the benefits of talking to a counselor for LGBTQ+ youth?
An experienced counselor can assist with mental health issues, gender dysphoria, transitioning, sexual health advice and much more.
Why is peer support important for LGBTQ+ youth?
Support from a network of peers will help young people overcome the challenges of discrimination, loneliness, family support issues and more while building a reassuring environment.
Get Free Access to LGBTQ+ Youth Programs in Orange County
The 20 latest Blog Posts
- LGBTQ+ in Orange County Gives Generously in Year-End Appeal
- Honoring World AIDS Day With a Remembrance Tree
- How You Can Support LGBTQ+ Health Care With Year-End Giving
- Orange County Unites in Support of World AIDS Day
- How You Can Support LGBTQ+ Health Equity in Orange County
- Radiant Health Centers 2021–2022 Annual Report Has Arrived
- Address Health Disparities During Transgender Awareness Week
- LGBTQ+ Community Unites for AIDS Walk Orange County
- Orange County Celebrates LGBTQ+ History Month
- Find an LGBTQ-Friendly Healthcare Home in Orange County
- Know Your Status to Help End the HIV Epidemic
- Join Us at the 36th Annual AIDS Walk Orange County
- Stay Informed About Monkeypox in Orange County
- With STD Rates Rising Free STD Testing in Orange County Is Essential
- Orange County LGBTQ+ Youth Facing Mental Health Disparities
- Celebrating Inclusivity and LGBTQ+ Rights During Pride Month
- Radiant Health Centers Hit Fundraising Goal at Annual Gala
- Fight the Stigma During Mental Health Awareness Month
- Get Tested & Know Your Status This Hepatitis Testing Day
- LGBTQ+ Community Unites to Celebrate Lesbian Visibility Week
- Awards & Recognitions for Our Work With the LGBTQ+ Community
- Contact Us
- Education & Outreach
- Family Planning & Birth Control
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Irvine HIV Testing and Treatment Services
- Irvine LGBTQ Center
- Irvine PrEP Services for HIV Prevention
- LGBTQ+ Youth and Mentorship Program
- Medical Clinic
- Mental Health
- Newsletter Signup
- Orange County HIV Life Skills Workshops
- Orange County PEP Treatment for HIV Prevention
- Orange County STD Testing & Treatment Services
- Primary Medical Care Services in Orange County
- Radiant Health Centers’ Annual Reports
- Rapid Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) Services
- Social Services
- Telehealth Access
- Telehealth Importance
- Telehealth Services
- Testing Services
- Thank You
- Thank You
- Thank You Newsletter
- Thank You Sidebar
- The Voice
- Additional Resources
- Family & Children
- Federal Transit Administration Title VI
- In the News
- LGBTs In The News
- Meet the Team
- Our Culture
- Press Releases
- Radiant Health Centers’ Strategic Plan
- AIDS Walk Orange County
- Annual Radiant Gala
- Pride Month 2022
- Support LGBTQ+ Youth Mental Health
- Year End Appeal
- Become a Corporate Partner
- Get Involved
- Join the Compassion Council
- Legacy Planning
- Main page
- Volunteer Opportunities in Orange County
- About Us
- Board Members
- Board of Directors
- Our Team
- Subaru Share the Love
- Terms & Conditions and HMIS
Archives by Month:
- January 2023
- December 2022
- November 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- August 2020
- May 2020
- March 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017